Virginia Wounded Warrior Program - Home of Virginia's Veterans and Their Family of Supporters

Print | A+ A-   Share: E-mail | Facebook | Tweet

On Campus

Military Student Services Office

Some colleges and universities have dedicated offices, often called Military Student Services, which provide programs to service members and veterans to assist them in their transition from the military to college. Services provided by these offices will vary according to each individual school, but may include benefits and financial aid counseling, academic advising, personal counseling, employment services, support groups, mentoring programs, and student veteran organizations. Contact the Military Student Services Office at the college or university you want to attend to learn about the services they offer to veterans on their campus.


Disability Support Services Office

“Don’t look at a disability letter as a social stigma but accommodations for your brave and gallant service to a grateful country.”

Accommodations are supports and services provided on college campuses so that qualified students with disabilities have equal access and opportunity to benefit from classes, programs, and activities. Academic accommodations must be authorized by a specific office on campus – generally known as the disability support services office – and are determined on an individual basis. Please refer to Get College Accommodations in the College Success section of this website for a detailed description of the accommodations process.

Academic Support Center

Succeeding in classes like Statistics or English Composition can be tough! Most colleges, even those with online programs, provide extra help to students with their course work and academic skills. An academic suppo rt center can provide one-to-one tutoring or supplemental instruction when a student needs help to do well in class. Some academic support centers offer college-level writing or math labs; students may make an appointment or walk in on an as needed basis. Academic support centers can even help facilitate study groups for students who share the same coursework and challenges. Some academic support centers incorporate academic advising into their range of services to help students stay on track with their degree completion.

Counseling Center

Many college students experience stress or anxiety. However, student veterans deal with additional stressors that are often related to transitioning from the military to a college setting. Most universities offer free or low-cost counseling centers on campus to help students develop strategies for dealing with their stress, anxiety, and other conditions. Community and online colleges may not offer a dedicated center for student counseling; however, student services personnel at these colleges can direct students to counseling resources in the community.

Career Center

Colleges and universities offer career centers to assist students with finding jobs in their chosen fields. Some services provided by a school’s career center include:

Resume Writing

Career center professionals can help student veterans develop resumes which translate military experiences into civilian careers, and can critique your resume based on their knowledge of what companies are looking for when screening applicants.

Interview Skills

Participating in a civilian job interview is much different than sitting for a military board in order to get promoted. Career center professionals can help you practice for that very job important interview. Your choice of dress, greeting, eye contact, and even a handshake can help set you apart once your resume gets you the interview.

Job Search

Looking for a job in the civilian world can be overwhelming since there are so many search engines, databases, and list serves to navigate. Career center professionals can give you the most effective job search tips to help you make the most of your effort and find jobs which match your skills and qualifications.

Student Veterans Association

“Veterans need to be able to talk to each other and vent and know they are not alone.”

Many colleges and universities sponsor student veterans associations (SVA) on their campuses to give student veterans a centralized way of meeting each other and voicing veteran-related concerns. When a college has an active program, the SVA may hold social functions, group fundraisers, and regular meetings to help veterans stay connected. These groups welcome both student veterans and family members of the military. The national SVA has information on starting an SVA as well as a database of all the local chapters at their website.


For many adults returning to college, a college library can seem overwhelming. However, it is critical to learn how to use this resource since you will need it to search for materials for completing class assignments and projects. Fortunately, librarians constantly answer questions and train students on how to navigate and search for materials effectively. Some libraries even offer new student tutorials and training on how to use software programs available to students. A university library can physically possess hundreds of thousands of volumes; community college libraries may contain fewer volumes. Students can also access the college’s database of electronic resources for academic journal articles and electronic books.

Department of Virginia Veterans Services | 1-877-285-1299 | 900 East Main Street-6th Floor, West Wing | Richmond, VA 23219 | | Site Map | VWWP Web Policy